So managed to get out of work early today, and thanks to AMC's Tuesday & Wednesday deals, I went to go check out Practical Magic 2. I did end up missing a few minutes of the beginning though so I'm not sure if I missed anything important. Spoilers ahead:
Basically I came in when Aunt Jet was caught in Sally's library.
Which.... I have mixed feelings about - it was very pretty. But it also seemed.... off? I'm not even talking about the whole Aiden Quinn (Gary from the original movie) being completely absent which they do explain why although the internet seems to have missed that moment in the film where it's said because he died because of the curse. Which is back or never left technically because they DIDN'T break the curse in the first movie... so that fucking sucked. There was definitely so many parallel moments between the two films, but I think the tone shift between the two films also affects the new movie. Also the fact that they move away from the small town and travel, which isn't necessarily a bad move, I would love to have learned more about Hannah Owens... but they had to go to Lee Pace's character which while yes I get the attractive appeal for, but I just found myself completely rolling my eyes at Sally and his relationship. Of his appearance at all - I would have cut his whole character out. The ending seemed anti-climatic? Or maybe the whole film sort of did? I will admit I did cry several times throughout it, so there was heart and emotional moments definitely.
I did listen to Practical Magic What Went Wrong podcast episode today, so I did hear the reasonings why the director went for a darker tone in parts of the film (Gillian's abusive ex-boyfriend) and I think they may have tried to do the darker moments here too but they came out way too light/flat? Like the final showdown was over within what, five minutes? Also the coconut song came on just barely at the end of the movie but it sounded off (like way off, like I could hear Nicole Kidman's dress shuffle in her walk and it definitely looked like everyone was dancing to no music....)
Don't get me wrong, I did overall like it and maybe it'll look better on a smaller screen, but it seemed kinda on the meh side? I mean they basically sidelined Maise Williams aka Antonia the whole movie. I feel like she should have joined her mother and aunt to London. Joey King as Kylie was amazing and I did enjoy her performance. I hope to see both in more witchy/paranormal roles.
But please tell me your thoughts/feelings if you see the film. Maybe on a rewatch, I'll enjoy it more. I do want to maybe try reading the book, although that's been on my To-Read pile forever.
In other news, I've been rewatching Once Upon a Time for the last couple weeks? I forget when I started it, but I figured I would start it again because a) I never finished it but did have overall warm feelings towards the show and b) wanted to participate in the OUAT Icon Battle (which ends 9/19) and I couldn't quite figure out what I should icon besides obviously Emma, Hook, and Elsa oh and c) since I've been obsessively playing Dreamlight Valley. I remember the first and second season fairly well, a few things made me stumble since I completely forgot about them ("Lacey", Tom Ellis as Robin Hood, and many more) and I definitely watched the Frozen season, but I think I stopped watching the show sometime after that season.
Anyway, I knew it was campy, but I forgot just how campy and how dramatic they made everything feel. Also I knew the green-screen moments were bad, but I forgot how bad they were, which is just awful because they had genuinely very lovely costumes (especially their fairytale selves) and minus the very obvious green-screens the sets were usually excellent. I also have to say that the storytelling in which we get many flashbacks of course that seem pretty well thought out (at least so far).
Anyway I'm almost done with Season 2 and so far this time around, I definitely see why Emma/Regina became an instant hit. Honestly, I find myself shipping it now, although I do still love Emma with Hook obviously, along with Elsa, Graham and Hatter. I also kinda ship Regina with Snow, honestly. I'm kinda meh on Charming/Snow although I think their David/Mary Margaret/Katherine storyline killed my attachment to that pairing, not that I really shipped it hardcore besides you know background canon. I do remember shipping Regina with Robin Hood, so looking forward to that showing up.
I forgot how much I hated Snow's Storybrooke name (Mary Margaret) until I heard it again - I apologize to anyone with that name, but something about it pisses me off? Like I would be [probably] be fine if her name was either Mary or Margaret, but something about it being combined upsets me. That and I really dislike her short hair.
I have mixed feelings on Belle/Rumple - I sort of still ship it but I also like it lacked something? I don't know if it's the writing/acting/what but it's just missing something. I'm at the Lacey part of the show and I can't say I care for that storyline at all.
Anyway, the show reminded me how much I shipped Mulan and Aurora together.... But, I kinda would not be opposed to them in a throuple with Phillip when he comes back. (I think they stuck with Aurora/Phillip though so... my fannish heart mourns that loss.)
The show makes me want to watch the 10th Kingdom which I feel like they may or may not have been inspired by when they created OUAT - not sure if it's ever been discussed but I feel like some parallels could be made.
Basically I came in when Aunt Jet was caught in Sally's library.
Which.... I have mixed feelings about - it was very pretty. But it also seemed.... off? I'm not even talking about the whole Aiden Quinn (Gary from the original movie) being completely absent which they do explain why although the internet seems to have missed that moment in the film where it's said because he died because of the curse. Which is back or never left technically because they DIDN'T break the curse in the first movie... so that fucking sucked. There was definitely so many parallel moments between the two films, but I think the tone shift between the two films also affects the new movie. Also the fact that they move away from the small town and travel, which isn't necessarily a bad move, I would love to have learned more about Hannah Owens... but they had to go to Lee Pace's character which while yes I get the attractive appeal for, but I just found myself completely rolling my eyes at Sally and his relationship. Of his appearance at all - I would have cut his whole character out. The ending seemed anti-climatic? Or maybe the whole film sort of did? I will admit I did cry several times throughout it, so there was heart and emotional moments definitely.
I did listen to Practical Magic What Went Wrong podcast episode today, so I did hear the reasonings why the director went for a darker tone in parts of the film (Gillian's abusive ex-boyfriend) and I think they may have tried to do the darker moments here too but they came out way too light/flat? Like the final showdown was over within what, five minutes? Also the coconut song came on just barely at the end of the movie but it sounded off (like way off, like I could hear Nicole Kidman's dress shuffle in her walk and it definitely looked like everyone was dancing to no music....)
Don't get me wrong, I did overall like it and maybe it'll look better on a smaller screen, but it seemed kinda on the meh side? I mean they basically sidelined Maise Williams aka Antonia the whole movie. I feel like she should have joined her mother and aunt to London. Joey King as Kylie was amazing and I did enjoy her performance. I hope to see both in more witchy/paranormal roles.
But please tell me your thoughts/feelings if you see the film. Maybe on a rewatch, I'll enjoy it more. I do want to maybe try reading the book, although that's been on my To-Read pile forever.
In other news, I've been rewatching Once Upon a Time for the last couple weeks? I forget when I started it, but I figured I would start it again because a) I never finished it but did have overall warm feelings towards the show and b) wanted to participate in the OUAT Icon Battle (which ends 9/19) and I couldn't quite figure out what I should icon besides obviously Emma, Hook, and Elsa oh and c) since I've been obsessively playing Dreamlight Valley. I remember the first and second season fairly well, a few things made me stumble since I completely forgot about them ("Lacey", Tom Ellis as Robin Hood, and many more) and I definitely watched the Frozen season, but I think I stopped watching the show sometime after that season.
Anyway, I knew it was campy, but I forgot just how campy and how dramatic they made everything feel. Also I knew the green-screen moments were bad, but I forgot how bad they were, which is just awful because they had genuinely very lovely costumes (especially their fairytale selves) and minus the very obvious green-screens the sets were usually excellent. I also have to say that the storytelling in which we get many flashbacks of course that seem pretty well thought out (at least so far).
Anyway I'm almost done with Season 2 and so far this time around, I definitely see why Emma/Regina became an instant hit. Honestly, I find myself shipping it now, although I do still love Emma with Hook obviously, along with Elsa, Graham and Hatter. I also kinda ship Regina with Snow, honestly. I'm kinda meh on Charming/Snow although I think their David/Mary Margaret/Katherine storyline killed my attachment to that pairing, not that I really shipped it hardcore besides you know background canon. I do remember shipping Regina with Robin Hood, so looking forward to that showing up.
I forgot how much I hated Snow's Storybrooke name (Mary Margaret) until I heard it again - I apologize to anyone with that name, but something about it pisses me off? Like I would be [probably] be fine if her name was either Mary or Margaret, but something about it being combined upsets me. That and I really dislike her short hair.
I have mixed feelings on Belle/Rumple - I sort of still ship it but I also like it lacked something? I don't know if it's the writing/acting/what but it's just missing something. I'm at the Lacey part of the show and I can't say I care for that storyline at all.
Anyway, the show reminded me how much I shipped Mulan and Aurora together.... But, I kinda would not be opposed to them in a throuple with Phillip when he comes back. (I think they stuck with Aurora/Phillip though so... my fannish heart mourns that loss.)
The show makes me want to watch the 10th Kingdom which I feel like they may or may not have been inspired by when they created OUAT - not sure if it's ever been discussed but I feel like some parallels could be made.
2 comments | Leave a comment





